Job Title – Special Events Coordinator
Reports to – Special Events Manager
CASA of Los Angeles mobilizes community volunteers to serve as advocates for abused and neglected children in foster care. The organization envisions a Los Angeles where every child has an advocate and the opportunity to thrive. CASA of Los Angeles is on a path over the next five years to expand services to vulnerable children in foster care so that it provides services to a meaningful number of the 30,000 children in the dependency court system every year.
Key to these efforts is growth in the number of volunteers trained each year, the number who stay active in a year, and in revenue raised from community partners and other donors.
Reporting to the Special Events Manager, the Events Coordinator is responsible for supporting event fundraising operations for the Development team. This individual will be a detail orientated, self-directed professional, committed to playing a key role in the fundraising activities at CASA of LA. This position will be responsible for a wide range of fundraising activities. They will display a flexible approach with the ability to move from project to project. Key activities will include but are not limited to support of the annual gala and managing preparations for special events as well as marketing and communications related activities that support events.
From Monday – Friday, the Development Associate will work from CASA’s Monterey Park office at Edmund D. Edelman Children’s Court, 201 Centre Plaza Drive, Suite 1100, Monterey Park, CA 91754. Work is performed indoors in an office setting. Some weekend and evening work is required throughout the year as needed and at major events.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support planning and executing of smaller and third party events.
- Create and maintain all gala related lists in support of the annual gala.
- Collecting and maintaining information on event supporters and sponsors and prepare standardized and custom reports using the system Salesforce.com.
- Assist in updating event information social media pages and the CASA of LA website.
- Support Special Events Manager as needed.
- Facilitate special event registration and execution.
- Assist with sponsor/auction letters, vendor invoicing and coordinate save-the-date and invitation.
- Assist with event prospect lists, track event rsvps, auction donations and manage/send thank you letters.
- Assist with event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Coordinate appointments and visits to see, and scheduling of events on the calendar.
- Work with team on event marketing calendars and event email outreach.
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters as needed.
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean up for events as necessary.
- Prepare nametags, materials, notebooks, packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc. as needed.
- Close out all events as required.
- Prepare and send fundraising emails to targeted mail lists.
- Prepare donor communications and requests for information and other correspondence.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of professional work experience in a development department
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher or other design software) and donor management software.
- Ability to thrive and work effectively independently and as a part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects, meet deadlines, problem-solve and multi-task.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Ability to build rapport with donors with diplomacy.
- Experience or interest in a career in fund development or non-profit organizations essential.
- Ability and willingness to work some early mornings, evenings, and weekend days.
- Past experience working with a sales team or fundraising team on events.
- Knowledge of fundraising databases
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to connect with and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals. A high level of comfort in reaching out to colleagues and prospects alike to establish contact and develop relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a high level understanding of social media.
- Commitment to and ability to understand and articulate the mission, programs and activities of CASA.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Constant Contact and mail merges; email and web searches.
- Some evening and weekend work will be required to successfully meet the job responsibilities.
- Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume, salary requirements and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that the selected candidates will be required to submit to a full Livescan and background check.
CASA of Los Angeles promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.