The CASA offices in Monterey Park and Lancaster are closed through June 22, 2020.
The staff is working remotely and available by phone and email.
Information for Current CASA Volunteers:
- In-person visits with your child/youth or anyone else involved with your case are currently prohibited. We will let you know when it is safe to resume in-person visits.
- Please see our FAQ and suggestions/resources for ideas about how to advocate for your child/youth during this time.
- All advocate supervisors are working full time from home and remain available to support you, by phone and through email.
Edelman Children’s Court and McCourtney Juvenile Justice Center
Dependency courts are only to hear emergency matters and will continue all other matters to date after June 22, 2020. In dependency those include:
- Restraining orders (new and those that would expire before 6/22/20)
- Removal orders
- Serious health and safety cases (for example an order is needed for a critical surgery)
During this time, most parties to the cases will not be permitted in the courtrooms, including CASA volunteers. It may be possible to participate by phone, however, most cases that will be heard will not involve a CASA.
If you have a court hearing scheduled during this time, please contact your supervisor.
Information for Prospective CASA Volunteers
We are continuing to actively recruit new CASA volunteers. If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer, please watch our online information session and submit your online application. In-person interviews will be conducted over Zoom for the time being. CASA pre-service training classes will resume once the current restrictions on public activities are relaxed, although we are working on conducting training virtually as well.
Referring a Child/Youth to CASA
Please read this information about referring a child/youth to CASA. To make a referral or if you have questions about a referral you’ve already made, please call our office at (323) 859-2888 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to changes in court operations, referral processing may be delayed.
Information about upcoming CASA Events
As you know, CASA of Los Angeles is in the business of advocating and caring for the most vulnerable among us – children who are in foster care because they have experienced abuse or neglect. In support of that core value, we will do everything possible to support the health and well-being of those most vulnerable in our community to the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health of our valued CASA volunteers, donors, supporters, and partners.
As a result, we have canceled or postponed all of our planned gatherings and events through at least May 1, 2020. These include:
- POSTPONED: The 8th Annual Evening to Foster DreamsGala scheduled for April 22, 2020. We have incredible honorees this year in Erin Foster, Larry Gilson, Jacquie Dolan, and Hon. Peter Giannini (in memoriam) and we are looking forward to celebrating them when we can reschedule the event.
- Canceled: Glamour Gowns/Suit Upscheduled for March 28, 2020. We are so thankful for the efforts of the volunteer committee and sorry not to be able to provide this wonderful event this year. We will be back next year!
- POSTPONED: Early Childhood Conveningscheduled for May 1, 2020 – To be rescheduled later in 2020
Please contact Marie Carpenter, Director of Development at 323.859.2888 x6328 or email@example.com with any questions about CASA/LA events. We will also publish updates regularly on our website.
How you can help CASA of Los Angeles at this time:
Our volunteers and staff are working diligently to provide advocacy and care to the nearly 1,400 children we are assigned to this year. If you are able to continue supporting our efforts by donating at this time to help us keep from having to reduce our crucial services, we would be extremely grateful. www.casala.org/donate