Job Title – Volunteer Training Coordinator
Reports to – Training Manager
CASA of Los Angeles mobilizes community volunteers to advocate for children who have experienced abuse and neglect. The organization envisions a Los Angeles in which every child in the child welfare system has an advocate and the opportunity to thrive. CASA of Los Angeles is on a path over the next five years to expand services to children in LA County’s child welfare system so that it provides services to a meaningful number of the 30,000 children in the dependency court system every year.
Key to these efforts is growth in the number of volunteers trained each year, the number who stay active in a year, and in revenue raised from community partners and other donors.
Under the direction of the manager of training, the volunteer training coordinator will help support and coordinate efforts with the training and volunteer relations team to meet their goals in screening, training and supporting volunteers. The training coordinator will be a self-starter who is responsible for scheduling, coordinating, facilitating and preparing for training classes, and entering and maintaining database information. The training coordinator will have a strong customer service orientation, be creative and resourceful, and share the passion for CASA/LA’s mission.
From Monday – Friday, the volunteer training coordinator will work from CASA’s Monterey Park office at Edmund D. Edelman Children’s Court, 201 Centre Plaza Drive, Suite 1100, Monterey Park, CA 91754. Work is performed indoors in an office setting. Weekend and evening work is required throughout the year as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate pre-service volunteer training;
- Assist with all other aspects of volunteer training including: scheduling, coordinating, preparing and providing logistical support for volunteer-related training;
- Assist with research and schedule opportunities for speakers and in-service presentations for volunteer/staff continuing education; and
- Maintain a yearly calendar for monthly planned in-service training.
- Provide information to volunteers and other visitors by answering questions and requests;
- Create a customer friendly climate in all aspects of working with volunteers;
- Create monthly volunteer newsletter, and other email communication to volunteers; and
- Assist with the facilitation of volunteer committees for volunteer events.
Prospective Volunteer Interviews
- Review volunteer applications and coordinate the set-up of interviews with prospective volunteers;
- Assist with interviews and provide feedback to the director of training and volunteer relations regarding potential candidates; and
- Facilitate conversations to redirect applicants better suited for roles outside of the organization to alternate volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Services Administrative
- Input accurate data in a timely manner into databases;
- Create, maintain and update volunteer records in the volunteer management database;
- Track volunteer applications, and monitor compliance requirements; and
- Assist with policy and procedure updates as needed for department.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent job/life experience, in background applicable to organizational mission and role;
- Minimum of three years of experience working with adult volunteers;
- Minimum three years of experience facilitating training with adults and willingness to build skills in this area;
- Working knowledge of adult learning theory;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated customer service skills and attitude;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, WordPress and Constant Contact;
- Ability to work and make decisions independently and to be highly resourceful;
- Ability to organize, set priorities, take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility and ability to manage a multi-project workload;
- Able to work a variety of hours, including evening and weekends;
- A valid California driver’s license and current automobile insurance;
- Ability to successfully pass a formal background check; and
- Willingness to travel throughout Los Angeles County
Experience in child welfare, juvenile law, non-profit or volunteer program management and online learning.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The volunteer training coordinator will be expected to have periodic transportation to attend training events. The volunteer training coordinator will be required to have a flexible schedule in order to facilitate daytime, weekend and evening classes. Time will be spent in the office that could involve intermittent physical activities including standing, bending, reaching, sitting and walking during working and training.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume, salary requirements and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com.
Please note that the selected candidates will be required to submit to a full Livescan and background check.
CASA of Los Angeles promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.